Our group chose the topics hydrostatic pressure and mixed material.
We built a mold of mdf board to which we attached a piece of stretchy fabric, and on top of that a piece of knitted fabric. We poured/stuffed the concrete mix into the mold so that the gravity would shape the finished model.
The pattern showed, but not as much as we expected. We didn’t find the perfect balance between the hydrostatic pressure and the stretchiness of the textile.
For the mixed material assignment, we attached a less stretchy textile between two wooden boards. Underneath these were attached wooden sticks to fix the concrete in the desires size. Our purpose was to stitch the finished piece of concrete to two pieces of wood. To make holes in the concrete we fixed shorter wooden sticks with duck tape, as shown in the picture, and then poured the concrete into the mold. When the concrete was cured we stitched the finished piece together.
Both the fabric and the wooden sticks were easy to remove.