final assignment

we wanted to cast a grid in concrete, since we did not manage to succeed in assignment 04. after the things we have learned by failing, we tried it in a bigger scale.

Salprinter-ArcPlan4-20170428113108

first tristan donated one of his t-shirts, which seemed to have a good stretchy fabric.
then we sewed the pattern where we wanted to have the holes. a self-built funnel helped to insert the concrete.  we wanted to put up the fabric on a construction that the mass could flow down into the form by gravity.

after the casting we already saw some weak spots where we thought it will break, but the concrete is so hard that it still is one piece.
we have learned a lot by doing it again and by approaching us to the result we wanted to have. if we would do it again, we would probably change the shape a little bit, since aesthetically speaking we could still improve it. furthermore we would also sew the upper part, which we did not to be able to insert the funnel, but it would have worked with just one opening, too.

in addition, we also wanted to do another grid, where we tried if it might also work with thinner concrete. the casting method was quite ‘normal’, we made a mould out of cardboard. but we expected it to break, because we thought it will be too thin.
therefore we were surprised when we demoulded it, because it turned out well and it was very solid.

Advertisements