We started by mixing the default mix and then dividing it in three parts, keeping one as it was and adding different amounts of water to the other two mixes.
mix 1 – default
mix 2- default + 6 g water
mix 3- default + 13.3 g water
We then “poured” half the mixes on top of plastic cups and kept half.
An hour later we poured the rest on cups. The first mix (1.2) did not change much. The second (2.2) had become more fluid and the third (3.2) had become less fluid.
For this assignment I tried to cast in a medium with higher viscosity than water. I found that tapestry glue might shape the concrete without any other formwork. The glue mixture was made according to the instructions for putting up wallpaper, so it was quite thick. The concrete would sink slowly, I poured it in different parts of the container to see if this would create a variety of shapes. Some of it would just sink to the bottom, but when I poured the concrete slower, the lesser weight would make it float in the glue mixture.
Top view of the glue and the non cured concrete
One of the shapes
We casted concrete into the small forms and flipped them after a different amount of time.
The expected outcome was to see the influence of gravity on the wet concrete in different states of the drying process.
We wanted to investigate how concrete would behave when pouring it onto a almost vertical surface. So we attached a plastic sheet in a curve-like shape towards the wall. After mixing the concrete, with double amount of water, we decided to add some colour. Because we fell so much in love with the intense blue colour, we decided to not mix it in but to sprinkle some on top and see what would happen to in in the pour.
The result was quite nice. On the slope the concrete got really thin and cracked quite easy, in the “pool” the pigmentation gathered and created nice patterns of colour.
Looking at the thicker piece, the “pool”, you can see the difference in structure depending on what it was casted against. The plastic film created an extremely soft surface compared to the top which was quite 3dimentional and where the most of the colour ended up.
The edges are very thin and also very fragile. To summarise, it became a study of colour and pigmentation in concrete, but also a basic demonstation on how the surface of the form effects the surface of the cast.
We used sliced baguettes in hopes that the fluid concrete would fill the air holes and cracks and pour out on the edges in spontaneous shapes. The breads holes were probably too small so the concrete didn´t sink so far into the bread. For the shape to be completely freed from the bread it will either have to dry more or be burnt off the concrete.
Assignment 03 – Fluid form
Johan Wallhammar, Marieke van Dongeren
Concept: Spritzing concrete in several layers – like 3D-printing or spritzing cream on a cake
– 1 on flat surface (Marieke)
– 1 on leaning surface (Johan)
Followed given recipe – with extra cement for a less fluid mix.
Four attempts were made at different times – so concrete was more cured:
– 1st attempt – directly when concrete was mixed
– 2nd attempt – 30 minutes after concrete was mixed
– 3rd attempt – 60 minutes after concrete was mixed
– 4th attempt – 80 minutes after concrete was mixed
Concrete mixture finished at 10.58.
– 1st attempt started at 11.03 – finished at 11.10
– 2nd attempt started at 11.30 – finished at 11.40
– 3rd attempt started at 12.00 – finished at 12.05
– 4th attempt started at 12.20 – finished at 12.25
– very hard to get concrete out of spritzer – we almost got cramps in our hands afterwards
– Mixture spritzed on flat surface was stable and could be built in several layers
– Mixture spritzed on leaning surface not as stable – fell over
– slightly less heavy, more fluid than 1st attempt.
– more smooth surface
– Perfect fluidity for spritzing –lighter
– more stable
– slightly more fluid than 3rd attempt – less stable
Everything got wetter and more fluid as time passed – contrary to our expectations.
Johan had a bigger opening in his spritzer than Marieke. This might result in the different appearances of the tests.
The concrete was a lot blacker when we mixed it – after curing it got lighter.
||percentage of cement