Assignment 4, Flexible formwork

Smocking by Erika Vegerfors

 

 

 

 

 

 

smock_Erika Vegerfors

smocking_Erika Vegerfors

170427_process foto

IMG_6174

smocking_Erika Vegerfors

Flexible formwork, Smocking

In assignment 4, I chose to cast concrete based on the textile term smocking. I think from earlier that it’s fun to casting on fabric. The molding language and the soft feel that textile has, is translated into a hard and heavy material. My starting point for this task was to cast a tile and use smocking qualities like ornaments. The task I chose to do was very time-consuming. But, I think everything went well and the recipe for concrete we received from the teachers worked great for me.

/Erika

Advertisements

Assignment 4

I followed the given recipe and it gave me a good mix to work with fore this assignment – even though it was more like clay than any other consistency and could not have been poured into anything it worked well for what I was doing.

The mould was created by a thread that was not very stretchy and a pantyhose with a lot of stretch. I wanted to see the effects this would have so I also made some larger holes in the net structure to see how this would affect the results.

This resulted in a cast that was puckering and we can see both the small and the larger holes. The biggest problem was the pantyhose which stuck to the cast and would not come off but that luckily is thin enough for the cast to not be heavily affected by its presence.

assignment 04

 

smocking

we chose a smocking technique that we liked and tried to make a 10 x 10 cm square. everything worked fine, except that we did not think about the demoulding process. in the end the form looked interesting, but the fabric was stuck inside the concrete. after trying with force, we saw that we would have to break the whole thing into a thousand pieces. so we came to the conclusion to burn the fabric, which did not work perfectly either, but it was interesting to try.

 

hydrostatic pressure

we tried to sew a pattern which should create a grid in the end. by hanging it upside down on a small structure, the concrete should have flown down to fill all the free spaces around the holes. unfortunately we were a little bit too optimistic about the size of 10 x 20 cm, so the concrete did not make its way down at all, before it could flow down it got hard and blocked the tubes. we even tried with a straw and an injection, but nothing worked. so the main problem was the size.

 

 

 

Assignment 4

For the forth assignment we chose the topics “Impressions” and “Textures”.
We started by doubling the default recipe. After mixing we thought the mix was very dry and almost doubled the amount of water ( +250 g) and that made it smooth and easy to pour into our forms.
Impressions: For this category we used a silky fabric and placed to cups in different heights. The result was a smooth surface with quite good detailing.
Textures: Here we used a laced fabrique with quite big holes and a sheer fabrique under to keep the mixture from leaking. In the result you could clearly see the pattern of the lace.

Assignment 04 — Multi material and Smocking & pinching, Group 8

Assignment 04—Multi material and Smocking & pinching.

We chose the two categories, multi material and smocking & pinching.

Multi material — we wanted to work with something that enveloped or “were threaded on” another material. We stitched three fabric parts that we came across an MDF.

smocking and pinching — In the experiment with smocking and pinching we stitched twopieces of fabric shapes.

1. is a simpler version of smocking where some points go inside, others outside.
2. Here, we wanted to test how we could work with smocking and pinching by adding it after we had concrete in the bag. We put on clothes pegs and a cord that we wrapped around.

Group 8, Hanna-Thea Björö och Bisera Örn.

exempel1.jpg

exempel2.jpg

exempel3.jpgberäkning.jpg utförande.jpgutförande 1.jpgfärdig1.jpg

“Husman” concrete facade tiles

Inspired by the pattern of the basic type of Wasa hard bread I set out to replicate this using stretched fabric over wooden plugs as the mold lid. The size of the cast sample was 20x10cm, however the concept can benefit from being cast in a much larger scale as this would help abstracting what was the origin of the pattern. A cut-out Swedish scale figure in 1:5, 1:10 and 1:20 was photographed in front of a mock-up wall made of real bread to test the tile scale and capture the beautiful shadow effects.

The basic recipy in the assignment was used. Small cracks between the plugs appeared, because of either too much or too little water according to the teachers.

A picture of the concrete sample will be added soon when it has hardened completely.

husman12.jpghusman1.jpgmold.jpg