Final work

Smocking by Erika Vegerfors

18197194_10154479138844080_2106805961_n

18191225_10154479149724080_1260902055_n

18191405_10154479138709080_1543660077_n

18197264_10154479138759080_715684444_n

18216958_10154479133469080_867222018_n

18191050_10154479133449080_555304616_n

18217613_10154479348389080_1917644918_n

Work in progress…

Final assignment.

In the final task, I chose to develop the smocking textile method that I tested earlier. I have now constructed a pattern that “grows”. The idea is that the pattern should extend across several tiles. In the end result, I expect to get three different sizes of tiles, 200×200 mm, 200×150 mm and 150x 350mm which together cover a surface of 350×350 mm and one pattern.

The difficulty in this task was to design the pattern and calculate fabric usage for the 350×350 mm surface due the textile is pulled together by the smocking.

I made the mold in plywood and I mounted the textile with staples on the wood skeleton.

The casting went well at first… But, at three o’clock in the night I forgot to pour in lime stone in the last casting of three. I see this now as a study and can compare how the concrete tiles comes out with or without lime stone in the concrete mix.

The entire process of constructing patterns, to sew, make a wooden mold, cast and finally piling off the fabric stuck in the concrete, makes the process very time-consuming, but very fun.

What I present here on the blog today is a work in progress…

/Erika

 

 

 

Advertisements

Assignment 5

Diamond by Erika Vegerfors

18155686_10154478063659080_1754651797_n

18191376_10154478063699080_55670401_n

18190844_10154478063799080_920451376_n

18190987_10154478063779080_632030532_n

18190770_10154478087464080_1770360738_n

18155588_10154478063724080_2134935141_n

In assignment 5 I chosed to cast a diamond. I model the diamond up in a 3D program. To extract the parts accurate, I used a laser cutter to help me erase the pieces from the carton I used as a mold. During the casting process, I received problems with the recipe we received the teachers and therefore did I a test, to investigate the best relationship between water and cement. I found out that 1 part cement and 0,7 parts of water is needed for the casting to work. In the final cast, I have just that relation. But, I belive that up to 0,9 parts of water would even work better.

/Erika

Assignment 4, Flexible formwork

Smocking by Erika Vegerfors

 

 

 

 

 

 

smock_Erika Vegerfors

smocking_Erika Vegerfors

170427_process foto

IMG_6174

smocking_Erika Vegerfors

Flexible formwork, Smocking

In assignment 4, I chose to cast concrete based on the textile term smocking. I think from earlier that it’s fun to casting on fabric. The molding language and the soft feel that textile has, is translated into a hard and heavy material. My starting point for this task was to cast a tile and use smocking qualities like ornaments. The task I chose to do was very time-consuming. But, I think everything went well and the recipe for concrete we received from the teachers worked great for me.

/Erika

Assignment 3

2
Reference and inspiration image – Lavaflow

34

5
after about 5min of stirring
6
after adding 40grams extra of water
7
After 5 mins we started to tilt the surface.
8
After 10 mins we started to tilt the board more and the concrete was sliding on the surface
9
After about 20 mins we started to tilt the board a lot more and the concrete was now sticking to the surface.
10
Result from experiment.
12
Here the concrete has been torn apart and has cracked
13
Here the concrete has gotten compressed

 

We wanted to try and emulate lava flow in this assignment. We mixed according to the recipe but thought the concrete was a bit to firm so we added a little extra water. To try and copy this effect we poured the concrete on a horizontal piece of wood and then tilted the surface to try and get the folds right. We soon realized that lava and concrete doesn’t really act the same way. It was hard to get the concrete to fold in the way we wanted but we did two test and one was more successful in emulating the lava, the other one was interesting because we could see a different effect with the cracked surface and the compressed part that broke of and was folded against the table.