For my final assignment I wanted to do something which could have some function afterwards. So I decided to make an easy form which then can be used as a small bowl to store stuff.
My aim was to create an interesting form with a high contrast between inside and outside.
I also aimed to use as different techniques we learned during this seminar, which included fabric formwork and formless cast for this project.
On the first try I built a frame and attached fabric to it, to pour concrete inside.
This concave form I used as a negativ for the bowl. I covered it with palstic to keep water from it and attached fabric again, so the texture would be visible inside of the bowl.
For the outside I wanted – in contrast to the inside – have a texture as ruff as possible.
So I decided to take concrete with a high amount of sand. I then added more water to make it liquid enough to proceed over the form by itself. I tried to add the concrete step by step to create layers.
It was quite hard to strip the formwork as it was both concrete, that´s why part if it broke.
For the second attempt I decided to higher the contrast between inside and outside. Especially the inside I wanted to have finer and more detailed. I went for a volume of two geometrics, a circle and a square, joined by a plastic foil. From previos tests I knew that the foil would create a shiny flat surface, but as it is soft, it also acts similar to fabric in its form.
The aim was to create a fine concrete texture, looking like skin.
First the fine aggregate was poured into a frame. A layer of crinkled paper was put on top, and then the cast was filled with the coarse aggregate and filled up with the mix of cement and water.
unfortunately the concrete didn´t went all through the aggregate, so only parts of it came out with the skin-texture.
Probabely the mix was not liquid enough, or not shaked enough so it could reach the bottom of the course aggregate.
we poured concrete into fabric which we attached to a wooden frame. Before that we hung up two weights on the fabric. The idea was that we now have to gravity-components influencing the cast: the weights and the concrete itself.
We attached concrete on a wooden tile in to create some kind of pocket. After poring the concrete in we took a small rope and wrapped it around the pillow so it would be squeezed.
We casted concrete into the small forms and flipped them after a different amount of time.
The expected outcome was to see the influence of gravity on the wet concrete in different states of the drying process.
group 07 – ferdinand getz / tristan guibert / pia hocheneder
mix 01: sand 6.3 parts
mix 02: water 0.7 parts
mix 03/04/05: pigments 2.5%
mix 01 turned out to be too stiff to get all the air out and to get a smooth surface, so it ended up looking like gravel. The mixture was not liquid enough to distribute in the form properly. However mix 02 contained too much water, so it took a very long time to dry, longer than the other samples. But it turned out smooth and shiny in the end.
The blue and black pigment did not mix properly with the cement, but the surface of the colored ones is very shiny and smooth. Only the red pigment spread evenly in the mixture.
Silicone can be used to create a negative form of an already existing object. In this example a romanesco broccoli was used to create the form. Then plaster was poured into the form. The Silicone can be very precise though its liquidity. Through its flexibility even after drying out it can be removed very easy.
With this technique we can replicate objects in a very precise way.
Bruder Klaus Field Chapel, Mechernich, Germany
by Peter Zumthor
The wooden construction defining the interior space of the chapel, was burned out after the concrete was dried. The slow burn lasted 3 weeks, leaving behind a hollow cavity blackened with a negativ walls charred in which there were few traces of logs original.
Apart from making visible how it was built up, the burned walls create a special and unusual athmosphere.