final assigment | paper tectonics

For the final assignment I wanted to investigate possibilities of “paper casting” (assignment 5 adaptive formwork). I played with paper and cuts different on its surface In order to achieve flexible paper material similar to fabric.

I prepared 2 paper sheets with two different patterns. (B pink 2x1cm cuts, A orange 3×2 cm cuts) and started casting as we did in assign5 with filling the box with fine aggigate, than I placed paper sheet and played with its tectonic and structure. After that I filled it in with aggregate and poured concrete slurry in. I adjusted concrete slurry recipe by adding double amount of water.

A)

 

B)

Paper transfer its texture on the cast. Unfortunately not the whole surface of cast was a success. For better result probably I should pour slurry and aggregate alternately. The outcome might be also more interesting if I played with different concrete recopies.

 

process:

Advertisements

assignment 05

I started with 3d modelling form, and than I tansferd design into paper. Buried the form in fine aggregate and unfortunatley the aggeregate I used to fill in inner part of the modl ws to fine, so in fact model broke in the thinesst part. Mix recepie worked fine. In order to fill the modl with slurry I pured it in little by little.

 

Impressions

P70331-105905P70331-110130P70331-110216

Our plan is to fix the plastic pillars on to the cardboard, using them to creat the impression, then pour the concrete over it and use the fabric to fix the shape. Probably because the plastic pillars are not strong enough, we found out that we cannot make the fabric tight enough and probably cannot get the result we want. So we choose to add the ropes on to our installation, to provide a downside impression as well as help fix the shape. Then it works much better and as a result, we get a piece of concrete showing the upside impression from the pillars and the downside impression from the ropes.

Jigging and Plugs

P70331-105944

P70331-110537P70331-110924P70331-110943

Our second test is about jigging and plugs. We use large-headed nails to plug two pieces of 5*5 cardboard on to the 10*10 concrete piece, hopefully we could get a piece of concrete with regular patterns on it. Probably because we squeezed it too hard, trying to make the patterns more obvious, otherwise because the plug-in nails have made the concrete structure weak, we found several cracks in our result. The good news is that the patterns are quite visible.

Assigment 03 | consistency

For this assigment we wanted to test possibilites of fluid concrete consitesncy. At first we preperded concrete from basic recepie given dureing the course, than we started adding more water and playing around with form. Basic mix, was very dry at the beginning but become more mouldable and fluid in a way which remind us of “play doug”.

CUBE

With this kind of concrete we wanted to test if it is possible to make a cubic shape using quite fluid material without building a mould. The result was surprising good. We achieved quite satisfying shape. It would be also possible to make edges sharper with some extra tools, but we stick to the idea of using just concrete during our process.

 

RINGS ON WATER

For this exercise we add some more water (probably around 100 ml) and try to recreate rings, that are showing up on a water when drop hits its surface. From the distance we were dropping small partitions of concrete mixture from the distance, one on top of another. The outcome was not what we expected. We couldn’t get the desired result. At the end we came to the conclusion that it would be possible if we put it layer by layer (layer of fluid concrete on the top of dried one) .

 

 

DRIPPING CONCRETE

At the end we put some more water to te mixture and placed it on the top of the cup to see how it drips down. The result would be more spectacular if we put even more mater to the mix.

 

03_pic.jpg

Assigment 02 | Group 6

dav

Group 6 – Patrycja Komada, Xiangyu Kong

Mix 1 – sand 5

Mix 2 – water 0.6

Mix 3 – blue pigment 2%

Mix 4 – red pigment 2%

Mix 5 – black pigment 2%

Mixture 5 was the stiffest one, mix 3,4,5 were also quite stiff and they harden quite quick. Mix 3 with blue pigment did not get the required colour, probably because of the wrong proportions of pigment. In the first calculations for the pigment / cement ratio, we used wrong weight (of the whole cast not of the cement), but correct it before we stared working with mixtures. Only mix 2 required shaking, because that one contained more water, but it turned out to be the smoothest of all casts.

calculations:

Mashroom based modelling kit

A sustainable building material made from agricultural byproducts and mushroom mycelium developed by company Ecovative.

The procuct allows artists and designers to grow their own material.

Last year, Mushroom Materials were used by architectural studio The Living to build an organic tower in the courtyard of New York’s MoMA PS1 Gallery.

 

source: dezeen