we wanted to cast a grid in concrete, since we did not manage to succeed in assignment 04. after the things we have learned by failing, we tried it in a bigger scale.
first tristan donated one of his t-shirts, which seemed to have a good stretchy fabric.
then we sewed the pattern where we wanted to have the holes. a self-built funnel helped to insert the concrete. we wanted to put up the fabric on a construction that the mass could flow down into the form by gravity.
after the casting we already saw some weak spots where we thought it will break, but the concrete is so hard that it still is one piece.
we have learned a lot by doing it again and by approaching us to the result we wanted to have. if we would do it again, we would probably change the shape a little bit, since aesthetically speaking we could still improve it. furthermore we would also sew the upper part, which we did not to be able to insert the funnel, but it would have worked with just one opening, too.
in addition, we also wanted to do another grid, where we tried if it might also work with thinner concrete. the casting method was quite ‘normal’, we made a mould out of cardboard. but we expected it to break, because we thought it will be too thin.
therefore we were surprised when we demoulded it, because it turned out well and it was very solid.
we decided to use paper folding as a technique to cast concrete for this assignment. we made 2 ‘eggs’: one of them is purely folded, but by forming it to an ‘egg’, some of the foldings are hidden inside the form, which might cause problems for the demoulding process if it gets stuck in the concrete. so we made another one, which is just held together by tape so it does not cause any marks on the inside. furthermore they had 2 different materials: one with a glossy surface, the other one is normal thick paper.
we also had the problem, that there was not enough >5mm gravel left, so we filled one ‘egg’ with normal concrete.
the gravel with glossy paper ‘egg’ turned out quite interesting, the concrete did not get completely down because the gravel was not big enough, but it created 4 columns on the top. the normal concrete with paper ‘egg’ was also fine.
we chose a smocking technique that we liked and tried to make a 10 x 10 cm square. everything worked fine, except that we did not think about the demoulding process. in the end the form looked interesting, but the fabric was stuck inside the concrete. after trying with force, we saw that we would have to break the whole thing into a thousand pieces. so we came to the conclusion to burn the fabric, which did not work perfectly either, but it was interesting to try.
we tried to sew a pattern which should create a grid in the end. by hanging it upside down on a small structure, the concrete should have flown down to fill all the free spaces around the holes. unfortunately we were a little bit too optimistic about the size of 10 x 20 cm, so the concrete did not make its way down at all, before it could flow down it got hard and blocked the tubes. we even tried with a straw and an injection, but nothing worked. so the main problem was the size.
We casted concrete into the small forms and flipped them after a different amount of time.
The expected outcome was to see the influence of gravity on the wet concrete in different states of the drying process.
group 07 – ferdinand getz / tristan guibert / pia hocheneder
mix 01: sand 6.3 parts
mix 02: water 0.7 parts
mix 03/04/05: pigments 2.5%
mix 01 turned out to be too stiff to get all the air out and to get a smooth surface, so it ended up looking like gravel. The mixture was not liquid enough to distribute in the form properly. However mix 02 contained too much water, so it took a very long time to dry, longer than the other samples. But it turned out smooth and shiny in the end.
The blue and black pigment did not mix properly with the cement, but the surface of the colored ones is very shiny and smooth. Only the red pigment spread evenly in the mixture.
Lapiaz in Haute-Savoie, France
There are channels of dissolution which are more or less parallel. The water leaves traces on a limestone ground. Also the ice and how it is melting makes fissures in the stone. As a result the rock is jagged, with holes, cracks and fissures.
Refugi Lieptgas, Switzerland by Selina Walder
The architect Selina Walder was in charge of the rehabilitation of a small wooden alpine chalet. In order to remember the original structure, she thought about petrifying it. The old hut’s wooden structure was then used as a mold in which conrete was poured. As a result, the two chalets seemed merged for a short instant. Then they removed the formwork and the new chalet was standing there.
Image : http://www.archdaily.com/606567/refugi-lieptgas-architektin-aam