final assignment

we wanted to cast a grid in concrete, since we did not manage to succeed in assignment 04. after the things we have learned by failing, we tried it in a bigger scale.

Salprinter-ArcPlan4-20170428113108

first tristan donated one of his t-shirts, which seemed to have a good stretchy fabric.
then we sewed the pattern where we wanted to have the holes. a self-built funnel helped to insert the concrete.  we wanted to put up the fabric on a construction that the mass could flow down into the form by gravity.

after the casting we already saw some weak spots where we thought it will break, but the concrete is so hard that it still is one piece.
we have learned a lot by doing it again and by approaching us to the result we wanted to have. if we would do it again, we would probably change the shape a little bit, since aesthetically speaking we could still improve it. furthermore we would also sew the upper part, which we did not to be able to insert the funnel, but it would have worked with just one opening, too.

in addition, we also wanted to do another grid, where we tried if it might also work with thinner concrete. the casting method was quite ‘normal’, we made a mould out of cardboard. but we expected it to break, because we thought it will be too thin.
therefore we were surprised when we demoulded it, because it turned out well and it was very solid.

Advertisements

final assignment: contrast bowl

finale

For my final assignment I wanted to do something which could have some function afterwards. So I decided to make an easy form which then can be used as a small bowl to store stuff.

My aim was to create an interesting form with a high contrast between inside and outside.

I also aimed to use as different techniques we learned during this seminar, which included fabric formwork and formless cast for this project.

On the first try I built a frame and attached fabric to it, to pour concrete inside.
This concave form I used as a negativ for the bowl. I covered it with palstic to keep water from it and attached fabric again, so the texture would be visible inside of the bowl.

For the outside I wanted – in contrast to the inside – have a texture as ruff as possible.
So I decided to take concrete with a high amount of sand. I then added more water to make it liquid enough to proceed over the form by itself. I tried to add the concrete step by step to create layers.

It was quite hard to strip the formwork as it was both concrete, that´s why part if it broke.

For the second attempt I decided to higher the contrast between inside and outside. Especially the inside I wanted to have finer and more detailed. I went for a volume of two geometrics, a circle and a square, joined by a plastic foil. From previos tests I knew that the foil would create a shiny flat surface, but as it is soft, it also acts similar to fabric in its form.

“Husman” concrete facade tiles

Inspired by the pattern of the basic type of Wasa hard bread I set out to replicate this using stretched fabric over wooden plugs as the mold lid. The size of the cast sample was 20x10cm, however the concept can benefit from being cast in a much larger scale as this would help abstracting what was the origin of the pattern. A cut-out Swedish scale figure in 1:5, 1:10 and 1:20 was photographed in front of a mock-up wall made of real bread to test the tile scale and capture the beautiful shadow effects.

The basic recipy in the assignment was used. Small cracks between the plugs appeared, because of either too much or too little water according to the teachers.

A picture of the concrete sample will be added soon when it has hardened completely.

husman12.jpghusman1.jpgmold.jpg

fabric cast – gravity and different stretch

gravity:

we poured concrete into fabric which we attached to a wooden frame. Before that we hung up two weights on the fabric. The idea was that we now have to gravity-components influencing the cast: the weights and the concrete itself.

 

different stretch:

We attached concrete on a wooden tile in to create some kind of pocket. After poring the concrete in we took a small rope and wrapped it around the pillow so it would be squeezed.