Experiment in deformation

IMG_7468

As a part of the course we had an assignment called flexible formwork. During this assignment we learned about the possiblity of casting concrete in fabric.

I was very intrigued by this assignment since this technique allowed for casting concrete with a very soft appearance. I liked how the concrete could be both permanent and hard and at the same time show great softness. It also allows for natural forces, such as gravety, to affect the casting.

From thinking of this I got the idea that concrete could mimic the softness of bodyparts. Since concrete makes the transformation from being a soft mix into a hard shape I wanted to take advantage of that it is possible to reveal impressions in the casts. And so I thought of what I could find out with this and I came to the conclusion that I wanted to make casts of bodyparts which are deformed by being pressed against something else. By these casts I want to expose the surface of the body which is otherwise hidden behind what it is compressed against.

Thinking more about this I realized that breasts are the perfect bodypart for showing this. The casts that I have made consists of breasts reavealing what they look like when being pressed against another bodypart. The casts show a frozen moment and might also tell an entire story.

For the casts I used the recipe which we recieved for the flexible formwork assignment. The rather loose mix made it possible for the casts to deform when pressed against something else but at the same time maintain its shape.

For the casting I used two layers of nylon stockings, fastened on a sheet of wood. By giving the stocking just a litle bit of shape the cast kind of shaped itself and the final result was therefore rather unpredictable. For me this was very important since I see this as an experimentation in deformation.

Advertisements

Impressions

P70331-105905P70331-110130P70331-110216

Our plan is to fix the plastic pillars on to the cardboard, using them to creat the impression, then pour the concrete over it and use the fabric to fix the shape. Probably because the plastic pillars are not strong enough, we found out that we cannot make the fabric tight enough and probably cannot get the result we want. So we choose to add the ropes on to our installation, to provide a downside impression as well as help fix the shape. Then it works much better and as a result, we get a piece of concrete showing the upside impression from the pillars and the downside impression from the ropes.

Jigging and Plugs

P70331-105944

P70331-110537P70331-110924P70331-110943

Our second test is about jigging and plugs. We use large-headed nails to plug two pieces of 5*5 cardboard on to the 10*10 concrete piece, hopefully we could get a piece of concrete with regular patterns on it. Probably because we squeezed it too hard, trying to make the patterns more obvious, otherwise because the plug-in nails have made the concrete structure weak, we found several cracks in our result. The good news is that the patterns are quite visible.