final assignment: contrast bowl

finale

For my final assignment I wanted to do something which could have some function afterwards. So I decided to make an easy form which then can be used as a small bowl to store stuff.

My aim was to create an interesting form with a high contrast between inside and outside.

I also aimed to use as different techniques we learned during this seminar, which included fabric formwork and formless cast for this project.

On the first try I built a frame and attached fabric to it, to pour concrete inside.
This concave form I used as a negativ for the bowl. I covered it with palstic to keep water from it and attached fabric again, so the texture would be visible inside of the bowl.

For the outside I wanted – in contrast to the inside – have a texture as ruff as possible.
So I decided to take concrete with a high amount of sand. I then added more water to make it liquid enough to proceed over the form by itself. I tried to add the concrete step by step to create layers.

It was quite hard to strip the formwork as it was both concrete, that´s why part if it broke.

For the second attempt I decided to higher the contrast between inside and outside. Especially the inside I wanted to have finer and more detailed. I went for a volume of two geometrics, a circle and a square, joined by a plastic foil. From previos tests I knew that the foil would create a shiny flat surface, but as it is soft, it also acts similar to fabric in its form.

Advertisements

Assignment 4, Flexible formwork

Smocking by Erika Vegerfors

 

 

 

 

 

 

smock_Erika Vegerfors

smocking_Erika Vegerfors

170427_process foto

IMG_6174

smocking_Erika Vegerfors

Flexible formwork, Smocking

In assignment 4, I chose to cast concrete based on the textile term smocking. I think from earlier that it’s fun to casting on fabric. The molding language and the soft feel that textile has, is translated into a hard and heavy material. My starting point for this task was to cast a tile and use smocking qualities like ornaments. The task I chose to do was very time-consuming. But, I think everything went well and the recipe for concrete we received from the teachers worked great for me.

/Erika

Assignment 04 Fabric Cast

 

IMG_2273

 

Our group chose the topics hydrostatic pressure and mixed material.

Hydrostatic pressure
We built a mold of mdf board to which we attached a piece of stretchy fabric, and on top of that a piece of knitted fabric. We poured/stuffed the concrete mix into the mold so that the gravity would shape the finished model.
The pattern showed, but not as much as we expected. We didn’t find the perfect balance between the hydrostatic pressure and the stretchiness of the textile.
Mixed material
For the mixed material assignment, we attached a less stretchy textile between two wooden boards. Underneath these were attached wooden sticks to fix the concrete in the desires size. Our purpose was to stitch the finished piece of concrete to two pieces of wood. To make holes in the concrete we fixed shorter wooden sticks with duck tape, as shown in the picture, and then poured the concrete into the mold. When the concrete was cured we stitched the finished piece together.
Both the fabric and the wooden sticks were easy to remove.