Assignment 03 – Fluid form
Johan Wallhammar, Marieke van Dongeren
Concept: Spritzing concrete in several layers – like 3D-printing or spritzing cream on a cake
– 1 on flat surface (Marieke)
– 1 on leaning surface (Johan)
Followed given recipe – with extra cement for a less fluid mix.
Four attempts were made at different times – so concrete was more cured:
– 1st attempt – directly when concrete was mixed
– 2nd attempt – 30 minutes after concrete was mixed
– 3rd attempt – 60 minutes after concrete was mixed
– 4th attempt – 80 minutes after concrete was mixed
Concrete mixture finished at 10.58.
– 1st attempt started at 11.03 – finished at 11.10
– 2nd attempt started at 11.30 – finished at 11.40
– 3rd attempt started at 12.00 – finished at 12.05
– 4th attempt started at 12.20 – finished at 12.25
– very hard to get concrete out of spritzer – we almost got cramps in our hands afterwards
– Mixture spritzed on flat surface was stable and could be built in several layers
– Mixture spritzed on leaning surface not as stable – fell over
– slightly less heavy, more fluid than 1st attempt.
– more smooth surface
– Perfect fluidity for spritzing –lighter
– more stable
– slightly more fluid than 3rd attempt – less stable
Everything got wetter and more fluid as time passed – contrary to our expectations.
Johan had a bigger opening in his spritzer than Marieke. This might result in the different appearances of the tests.
The concrete was a lot blacker when we mixed it – after curing it got lighter.